The last thing you want to worry about when on the move or after reaching your destination as a photographer is storage and being able to back up your most crucial photos and footage. It is upsetting when you need extra space to hold your most recent photos, and none of the options provide a sound backup plan.
Consider when your computer lacks an SD card slot. It definitely makes your life a little more difficult as a photographer. Luckily there is a permanent solution — that of buying an external hard drive with SD card reader.
That said, this piece takes you through the best external hard drives with an SD card reader. We have handpicked the best options in the market to get. So, make sure to read this piece to the very end. Ready to learn more? Let’s get started.
But before going through our list, let’s have a look at key things to keep in mind when buying hard drives.
Does the hard drive work well with your computer? Some hard drives only work well with specific software, and others require formatting to achieve 100%.
Again, remember to make sure your computer supports the interface on your drive. For example, if you are working with the latest Macs, you are going to want to find a drive that supports Thunderbolt 3.
So, make sure you remember to check compatibility to avoid getting frustrated after making a purchase.
Bus-powered drives are powered by connection to the computer. Such hard drives are a good option if you need to unload some files while traveling and when it is challenging to find an AC power connection.
SSDs hard drives are faster compared to HDDs and are much safe when traveling because they are likely to fail when they get bumped. This is because they have no moving parts.
Both SSDs and HDDs are excellent when it comes to storage, but HDDs are more pocket-friendly when running on a tight budget.
Keep in mind that SSDs are more reliable.
Make sure your hard drive is protected from drops and bumps that are likely to occur when traveling.
For extra protection and speed, remember to choose a drive that offers more RAID options.
- Built-in SD card slot
With such a hard drive, even without a computer, you can still move and back up your files.
- Built-in Wi-Fi
Such hard drives come in handy when you want to set up and access your drive via a smartphone.
Top HDDs with SD card reader
- WD 2TB My Passport Wireless Pro
WD 2TB My Passport Wireless Pro is equipped with Wi-Fi 802.11ac for smooth streaming and file transfers using the My Cloud mobile app android and on iOS. You can also quickly edit with a connected tablet or computer. It comes with an SD 3.0 card reader and up to 10 hours of battery backup.
You can also use the built-I battery pack as a power bank to charge your smartphone. WD 2TB My Passport Wireless Pro, a top of the line storage device from Western digital is available in multiple storage options hence giving you the freedom to pick.
- Dual Wireless Band Support. A 2.4GHz 802.11n signal provides improved long-range performance for both wireless AC and N devices and 5GHz 802.11ac band provides faster performance to compatible wireless AC devices
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac support for wireless streaming
- 10 hours of battery backup
- SD 3.0 card reader for fast media transfer
- Connects to the Adobe Creative Cloud in just a few clicks
- Works well with Pc and Mac computers. No need to reformat.
- Files access from anywhere, for example using My Cloud mobile app
- Stream up to 8 HD videos simultaneously to multiple connected devices
- Excellent drive lock that makes sure your files are always secure
- Allows you to create internet hotspot and share with up to 8 separate devices
- The SD card reader may not be compatible with some cards
- WD 1TB My Passport Wireless
Just like WD 2TB My Passport Wireless Pro, this hard drive also comes in handy. It is available in multiple options; you can use it as a power bank, and it offers a faster data transfer rate of 390 Mbps.
WD 1TB My Passport Wireless has a one-touch copy to button to backup your data, great Wi-Fi option, and is enclosed with a durable, shock-resistant case.
- Wireless 802.11ac with WD iOS and Android app support
- Built-in battery with up to 10 hours of backup
- Faster performance with SD card reader
- The battery drains quickly
- LaCie Rugged RAID Pro
If WD’s wireless hard drives are pricey, LaCie Rugged RAID Pro will not break your bank. It is a cheaper option with USB 3.0 and USB Type-C port for connectivity along with extreme drop, SD card reader, dust, and water-resistant case.
- USB USB 3.0 and Type-C support
- Built-in SD card reader
- Rugged design that can withstand an accidental drop
- A complimentary membership to Adobe creative cloud all apps plan
- The data transfer speed is not consistent